Craig Daniel on Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:03:30 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] [Oracle] CFI 123

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Gabriel Vistica <gvistica@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> FALSE. The player generally known as teucer does not have the name "Murphy" as
> this name is already in use as a unique identifier for another player. If teucer
> were to have the name "Murphy", that would violate the first paragraph of Rule
> 2/0, "All game entities must have uniquely identifying names", which I interpret
> to mean that all identifying names held by a player [[basically all names that
> aren't titles]].

I appeal the above judgement. Arguments: While the judge is correct
that "All game entities must have uniquely-identifying names", and
this unambiguously means all identifying names held by players must be
unique, the fact that something MUST happen does *not* mean that it
does - merely that players who MUST do something are in violation of
the rule in question. (See Rule 14.) Ergo, the MUST clause in Rule 2
does not block me from becoming a player with the relevant name; it
merely means that the other Murphy is breaking Rule 2. (I do have to
specify a unique name when joining, but as I in fact specified four of
them I should be good.)

 - teucer