Charles Schaefer on Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:38:13 -0700 (MST)

[s-b] Not one, but TWO consultations regarding our wonderful "error-free" ruleset

Consulation: Is Charles the validly assigned Priest of Consultations 168 and
169?
Arguments: From Rule 5E36 (Judgment) "Whenever a Priest is to be selected
for a Consultation, the Oracle shall select a random one between the
eligible Players." No where do the current (fifth era) rules define
"random", so we should use the common English meaning of the word (even
though no where in the fifth era rules is it required that we do so). The
underlying question here is whether or not the Oracle's dice roll for 165,
168, and 169 is considered valid for selecting the relevant Priest (I argue
that it was), or whether his subsequent messages (which differed from the
results of the roll) are instead valid. The Oracle's later messages
assigning the Consultations to the Priests as specified by the dice roll is
invalid either way, since a Priest has a jiffy to answer a Consultation
before it may be reassigned.

Consultation: Are the Public Displays of the Ministries of Meta and Change
correct with respect to the existance of the Ministry of Business?
Arguments: The Meta PD was ratified a while back while it contained the
entry for the Ministry of Business (saying that Charles(w1n5t0n) held the
office with a reward of 100), however, the rules at that time made no
reference to a Ministry by that name, and have not since then. The (fifth
era) rules just say that Ministries are game objects, not necessarily ones
individually defined by the rules, however I think it is reasonable to make
that conclusion (based on fourth era precedent as well as the explicit legal
definition of all other current ministries). I argue that the instant after
that PD was ratified, the Ministry of Business entry should have ceased to
exist since it had no legal basis. This also makes the current election for
it invalid. Should Proposal 565 pass, the Ministry in question will be
recreated as a vacant ministry, which any player may then assign themself.
--
w1n5t0n aka
Charles Schaefer