Daniel Lepage on Wed, 3 Nov 2004 21:18:06 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-b] Work is sucking the lifeforce from me--I mean, more than usual

On Nov 3, 2004, at 10.00 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 02:29:54AM -0500, Daniel Lepage wrote:
I rule TRUE on the cfi. While it is true that there are many many
examples of card games where cards which are laid down don't leave the
player's possession, or even in some cases the player's hand, there's
still one thing they have in common--it's awfully hard to lay cards
down which have already been laid down without picking them back up
again. Common usage is a necessary evil, and it's certainly applicable
in this case. As picking the Cards up is not otherwise allowed for by
the Rules, and the act of picking the Cards up would modify the game
state, I'm going to have to rule that it can't be done.

For reasons I've explained in a series of earlier posts, I Recall
Shenanigans on this CFI.

What were those reasons again?

I rule FALSE on this CFI. r1726 makes the general claim that all cards
must have an Image. r1903 makes the specific claim that there exist
cards without one. I rule that such a specific claim does not contradict
a general claim, by analogy with the following paragraph from r33:

"The unconditional permitting of an action is a Blanket Permission. The
conditional prohibiting of an action is a Specific Restriction. A
Specific Restriction for an action is not considered to be in conflict
with a Blanket Permission for that action, unless the implementation of
the Specific Restriction eliminates any possible circumstance in which
the action can be performed."

The CFI I was Recalling Shenanigans on was entitled "CFJ on Wonko" and was on the statement "Wonko did not succeed in laying down eir sequence of Green, Blue, and Indigo more than once."

Your judgment looks like it was intended for the CFJ entitled 'Color Cards', which hasn't been appealed, as far as I know.

"CFJ on Wonko", as well as its associated arguments, is near the top of the CurrentCFIs page.

--
Wonko

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?
                -- Plato