Bill Adlam on Sun, 16 May 2004 17:13:01 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [Spoon-business] Nweek 62 RESULTS

Dave dealt:

> A few players are dealt new cards, then the Deck runs out of cards.
> The
> rules don't seem to address this situation, which poses rather a
> problem... I was dealing cards alphabetically, and got as far as
> "Mikie
> the Inscrutable" when the deck ran dry. Someone should really invent
> means of handling this.

For the good of the game, I play Your Spoo Has Too Much Fleem on
Teucer.  But hold on!  What happened to the 4 Investments and 2 Tax The
Poors created by p1821?  There's something fishy about this game, boys.

Glotmorf wrote:

> It's my inner curmudgeon showing through...resistance to
> change without good reason.

I always knew you had hidden qualities concealed behind your outer
curmudgeon.

And:
> But that wasn't quite my point.  If A owns B and B owns C, is
> ownership by B distinct from ownership of B?  Or does
> ownership of B revert B to container status, much like the
> long-lost Gnome Bag?

I don't understand your preposition-rich question.  Unless and until we
enact rules that allow it, A doesn't gain any special powers over C by
owning B.

And:
> Mr. A...while I don't object to this proposal being shelved
> (hence my vote), does it not in fact fail, since it would have
> failed even without my Shelve vote?

If that's not an objection, what is?

And Zarpint thought:

> ...we need a philosophy that allows players to vote 'Shelve' twice
> for any number of propositions provided they only vote 'Shelve'. The
> idea would be that nothing is ever good enough, but I can't think of
> an established school of philosophy that believes that, probably
> because they wouldn't think it's good enough to establish.

I was thinking of something similar, but alas the hard drive curse has
struck me too, and I have lost my vital legislative work in progress.
I advise all to back up scrupulously, lest they share my fate.  I
intend to propose a philosophy (Perfectionism) allowing extra Shelve
votes.  I also have plans for Asceticism, Nihilism and Honest
Brokerage.

I am toying as well with the idea of an Academy, which could be
implemented as a location or a society.  Members of the Academy would
automatically gain an extra philosophical mandate, at random, at the
start of each nweek.  They gain the advantages of all their
philosophies, but are expelled from the academy if they violate any of
their increasingly numerous restrictions.

Sagitta