Zarpint Jeremy Cook on 3 Feb 2004 03:32:55 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] speaking of games...

NOTE: below, modifications to the __Laboratories prop.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> O'course, nobody'd want to be the admin of an Unterumwelt... it's hard
> enough getting anyone to help dave admin the Uberumwelt.

I sure would. They're supposed to be temporary small experiments anyway.
And B Nomic is just the Umwelt... Reality claims to be an Uberumwelt,
but no such claim is supported by the Ruleset.

> > Any player may transfer the role of an Unteradmin to another player
> > with
> > mutual agreement.
>
> Y'might wanna restrict this to those players who are Unteradmins... no
> theft of Unteradminship.

Good idea...changed below.

> > Nothing in a Rulebook with Limited Scope, which may be referred to as
> > an
> > Unterumwelt, may change the gamestate. All changes must be made to its
> > local
> > Gamestate.
>
> The local gamestate is a subset of the full gamestate, is it not? Thus,
> these two sentences are in opposition.

> >  Any player may cease being an Unteradmin at any time, and
> > if this occurs, the associated Unterumwelt is removed from the game
> > and has
> > no further effect on it.
>
> Implying that the Unterumwelt has an effect on the game prior to this...

Your two comments contradict each other here: either the local Gamestate
is part of the gamestate or it isn't. I believe it is, or should be, and
that is also changed below.

I also didn't specify any way of creating them, so I added that, as well
as fixing some ambiguities.

I change the text of my proposal __Laboratories__ to the following:

{{__Laboratories__

Add the following to the end of Rule 11:
{{
The Scope of a Rulebook is a collection of Rules. A Rulebook's Scope may be
defined at its creation to be Unlimited (that is, containing every Rule) or
Limited to specified Rules. If the Scope of a Rulebook is ever unspecified,
it reverts to the last specified Scope, or to Unlimited Scope if its Scope
was never specified.

Nothing in a Rulebook has any effect on Rules outside its scope.

For each Rulebook with Limited Scope, there exists a local Gamestate, referred
to as the X Gamestate, where X is the name of the Rulebook.

Nothing in a Rulebook with Limited Scope, which may be referred to as an
Unterumwelt, may change any part of the gamestate that is not also part of
its local Gamestate. A local Gamestate is part of any local Gamestate whose
scope contains every Rule in its Rulebook, as well as being part of the
gamestate.

All Rules in a Rulebook "Fnord" apply to and take precedence over any Rules in a
Rulebook whose Scope is a proper subset of Fnord's Scope.

When an Unterumwelt is created, its local Gamestate is set to the null set.
After that occurs, its Rulebook is set to a set of rules specified by the player
who created it. An Unterumwelt may be created by any Player specifying an Unteradmin
and a set of rules. No Player may create more than one Unterumwelt per nweek.

No Unterumwelt may be created without specifying an Unteradmin and obtaining
the agreement of the Unteradmin. An Unteradmin is an assistant to the Admin
reponsible for keeping track of a Gamestate and assisting the Admin in anything
necessary involving eir assigned Gamestate and Rulebook. An Unterumwelt with no
Unteradmin is removed from the game and has no further effect on it.

Any player holding the role of an Unteradmin may transfer it at any time
to another player with provided both players agree to the transfer.
Any player may cease being an Unteradmin at any time, and if this occurs,
the associated Unterumwelt is removed from the game and has no further
effect on it.
}}

Set the Scope of the Ruleset to Unlimited.
}}

--
Zarpint            "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
Jeremy Cook         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."