bd on 5 May 2003 01:39:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Veni, Vidi, Vacancy

On Sunday 04 May 2003 08:54 pm, SkArcher wrote:

> >>therefore

> >>legal.-

> >>I don't have to define movement; the force rule states 'When a player
> >> Force Lifts an object,
> >>that object is moved from its location to the targeted square.'
> >>
> >>This explicitly states that the object in question is moved, and as you
> >>*are* the object, you are
> >>therefore moving, and under your own free will, which is explicitly
> >>outlawed in the Toad rules.
> >>
> >>You can move other stuff about, but not yourself.
> >
> >-Rule 301:
> >B.2. Movement
> >Once per nweek, any Player on the Grid may announce that e intends to move
> >to a new (x,y) coordinate location. Unless otherwise prescribed by the
> >rules, Players may only move from eir current location to any of the units
> >surrounding eir current location. [[E.g. the x and y coordinates of a
> >player's location may only be increased or decreased by 1 each nweek.]]
>
> Yes, I know, but note the phrase 'Unless otherwise prescribed by the
> rules'. Moving by Force is defined as 'moving' by the Force rule, and is
> therefore an exception to this rule, as this rule defers to it.
>
> >Since that's the accepted definition of "movement on the Grid," and since
> >I'm not doing that, what I'm saying is still legal.
>
> This is the base definition of movement on the grid, whose rules are
> superceded by rules to which it defers, which is, in effect, any rule which
> says otherwise.
>
> >Also, using your logic, I could escape Wonko be announcing that I want to
> >move wherever e does - any time e moves, clearly I am then moving of my
> > own free will, and since I can't do that, I have to get left behind or
> > perhaps my position is undefined, since it's not clear what is contrary
> > to my free will.-
>
> No, because your Free Will is not a cause of your movement.

[[ I can see you'll go far in this game. That said, these discussions tend to
go on for days without a CFI. They'll still go on for days with a CFI, but
then we have opportunities for bribery, misinterpretations, and general
mayhem. That's always fun. ]]

I create a CFI:
{{
A player who is a Toad or a Penguin may not move emself by performing a Force
Lift on emself.
Analysis: The section defining Force Lifting states that the player is moved.
The rule regarding Toads states that a Toaded player may not move of eir own
free will. Therefore, e may not use a Force Lift on emself.
Defendant: Baron von Skippy
}}

- --
bd
Os astrônomos dizem que o universo é finito, o que é confortante para
pessoas que nunca se lembram onde deixam as coisas.