Gavin Doig on 3 Apr 2002 18:28:28 -0000

spoon-business: CFJ

First let me note that I am not CFJing any part of the Admin's anatomy here. These rules probably need changed, but at the moment they say what they say.

<CFJ>
<statement>
Regardless of when (or whether) the Administrator distributes the Ballot, voting on an nweek's Ballot opens at the start of the third to last nday of that nweek, and closes at the end of the last nday of that nweek.
</statement>

<analysis>
Quoth the Admin: "My interpretation of the rules is that, since the ballot must be issued at least 48 hours before the end of Voting, that this is a vote-able Ballot for the next 48 hours."

While this would be a convenient situation, it is not supported by the rules. As Wonko has pointed out, rule 15/2 states "Voting on a nweek's Ballot opens at the start of the third to last nday of that nweek, and closes at the end of the last nday of that nweek.". This takes precedence over rule 23/0, which states "The Administrator shall, at least 48 hours prior to the close of voting each nweek, distribute to all Players the Ballot for that nweek.".

Additionally, I would argue that even if rule 23 took precedence, the ballot would still open at the 3rd to last day and close at the end of the nweek. Rule 23 does not say "the ballot starts 48 hours after the admin distributes it"; that would be a regulation of a property of the game, and fall within the domain of the rules. Instead, rule 23 merely regulates what the admin must do, without making the Ballot dependant on his actions. This falls outwith the domain of the rules - they cannot control the actions of players (or the admin). Rule 23 has no actual force, as it cannot make the admin distribute the ballot, any more than it can make him paint himself yellow and dance the macarena.

I considered the possibility that the Ballot does not exist until the Admin distributes it, but "The Ballot shall list all proposals that were recognized after the start of the previous nweek's voting period.", so it will still exist, and we can still know its contents, regardless of it being distributed.
</analysis>

<defendant>
Baron von Skippy.
</defendant>