Marc Lanctot on Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:17:55 -0700 (MST)

[game-lang] Introductions and request for Lit review

Hello Joel,

I've tried to send this email twice and failed twice. Let's hope the third time's a charm :)

Thanks for setting this up.. it's good to see so many people interested in this topic!

I'm curious about you.. are you a researcher? Academic? If not, what do you do.. what's your story? :) Feel free to ignore any of those if they're too personal, but maybe we should introduce ourselves. I'm a Ph.D. student working at University of Alberta (Canada), interested in computational game theory -- specifically its application to AI. In particular, I care about general descriptions of games because I would like to evaluate our AI algorithms across a wide variety of games without re-implementing the algorithm in several different code bases.. which will be really helpful for research. If eventually there exists a game framework that interprets the rules for the games, I would be more than happy to contribute all of my AI work to it. You mentioned AAAI; I was curious why you attended. How about everyone else?

In or after your lit review, can you include your opinion about working on a superset of GDL or GDL-II rather than starting from scratch.

Marc