James Helle on Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:42:03 -0700 (MST)

Re: [eia] Battle of Leopoldstadt resolution

I like solution #2 best.  This seems similar to the FORCED WAR DECLARATIONS
rules (4.6.4.2) for attacking a neutral minor.

I agree that a MP cannot fight a MP they are not at war with (w/ the naval
exception that Joel pointed out).  I think each side should decide via
escrow whether to attempt to reinforce or not.  After that, if both decide
to reinforce and both do so successfully then they do so with the knowledge
that they each *must* declare war on the other per 4.6.4.2 This states that
"If two or more MPs do not back down ...each *must* declare war on all MPs
also attacking... (unless already at war with them)".

As a benefit, 4.6.4.2.1 states that this "costs the same as declaring war on
*one* MP".

-----Original Message-----
From: eia-bounces@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:eia-bounces@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Kyle H
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 6:36 AM
To: public list for an Empires in Arms game
Subject: Re: [eia] Battle of Leopoldstadt resolution

    Oh.  OK.  I see the problem now.
    I say let both sides roll to reinforce.  If only one side is successful,
then there's no problem.  If both sides succeed, then there are 2 ways we
could go.

Solution 1:  If both sides successfully reinforce, then we could just
stipulate that neither reinforcement was successful.  They "bounce" off each
other and are reset to their areas of origin.  (This follows Jim's
suggestion.)

Solution 2:  If both sides successfully reinforce, then the power(s) that
are not at war would have an opportunity to declare war immediately, just as
in 7.3.8.3.  If a power that has reinforced does not choose to declare war
and is not at war with all of the nations in the opposing stack (after
reinforcement), then it must return to its original land area.

I prefer solution 2, as it uses already existing rules in a different
context.

kdh