Michael Gorman on Tue, 8 Aug 2006 08:12:15 -0700 (MST)

Re: [eia] French leader checks

At 09:19 AM 8/8/2006, you wrote:
>     Thanks for this historical survey Joel.  Your statistics show pretty
>clearly that leader death/casualties in this game are historically low.  I
>would be in favor of a house rule that says you roll leader casualties for
>*each* leader present at a battle (as Mike and Bill recently did for their
>battle).  That would increase the odds somewhat, getting them closer to
>historical reality.

I rolled once for each battle, I just had one leader at each battle since I
have a lot of things going on.  I would strongly oppose this rule as it
would increase leader death probabilities to much greater than they ought
to be and as the game makes no rules for promotion of new leaders it would
encourage events that would seriously skew the balance points of the game.

Right now you have ~0.5% chance to have someone of a rank of at least major
general, or their national equivalent, die in a given battle.  That is
already a high percentage.  You also have ~3% chance of someone of that
rank being seriously wounded and that is an incredibly high chance.  If
real armies had been that poor at guarding their headquarters, large
military formations would never have been possible.