Michael Gorman on Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:35:54 -0700 (MST)

[eia] Access after peace

Just a quick note on the implications of peace treaty access as opposed to
the voluntary access we've been discussing lately.

Having made peace, there is a limited access agreement automatically in
place between Prussia and Turkey and Prussia and Russia.  This access can
be superceded by a voluntary access but in the absence of a voluntary
agreement, the peace treaty access has several key differences from what
we've been talking about.

The big one is that the peace treaty access has no right of return
path.  Once it expires, it is expired, the end.

I expect this to mostly be an issue for Prussia since people on either side
of Prussia are still at war and the implications for activity within
Prussia are summed up as follows:

Peace having been made in July, in the reinforcement phase three months
later, October, any Russian or Turkish garrisons in Prussian cities will be
removed from the board and disbanded for garrisons or scuttled for
fleets.  After that time, Russia and Turkey no longer have access to place
garrisons into Prussian cities, including retiring into the cities to avoid
field battles.  They can still garrison depots for three more months though.

After 6 months, January reinforcement phase, all Russian and Turkish forces
within Prussia are demobilized/scuttled and Russia and Turkey no longer
have any form of access into Prussian territory.  If a corps used the
limited access to invade French territory, they do not have a right to
return via the limited access and would have to reach a voluntary agreement
with Prussia or find another route home, like Austria or by naval transport.

Prussia has access to Turkey and Russia under the same terms and for the
same time periods so Prussian garrisons still in Russia can be retrieved
and if Prussia wanted to send forces someplace or have maneuvers or
whatever they have the same rights to Turkey and Russia as Turkey and
Russia have to Prussia.

As the peace made between the three powers was informal, they can redeclare
war and that would supercede the limited access or they could make an
alliance and make a voluntary access agreement which would also supercede
the limited access in any areas of their countries covered by the voluntary
agreement.

Just wanted to have that down to make sure we're all on the same page for
what the limited access means so we don't have any surprises in a few turns
if it comes out that we didn't all see limited access the same way.  So if
you read this and say, wow, Mike's crazy if he that's how he read the
limited access rules, now's the time to make sure we get that out of our
system and play on a common set of rules for the next few months in Prussia.