Michael Gorman on Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:45:38 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] Turkish naval phase, Aug. '05

At 11:16 AM 7/16/2004 -0500, you wrote:
Thus spake "Kyle H":
> The Turkish fleet holds at Constantinople.
> The Portuguese fleet maintains its blockade of St. Petersburg.
>
> kdh

Does it bother anyone else that the rules give players so much latitude with
minor countries? Given the rules, what Kyle's doing makes sense, but I think
it would be hard to convince the Portuguese that blockading St. Petersburg
serves their interests when Portugal is at war with Spain and isn't being
threatened by Russia.
It's similar to some of the flaws in the UMP rules but I don't think anywhere near as problematic.

I figured it would go something like, Portugal looks for help when attacked by Spain. Turkey says, we'll help you, but in exchange for that help, you help us out by blockading St. Petersburg. Your fleet couldn't really take on the Spaniards anyhow.

Mike