Kyle H on Sat, 13 Mar 2004 06:40:08 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] [escrow] December 1807 Political Phase

    That's funny.  I feel exactly the opposite.  I wish we could inject
*more* simultaneity into this game.  For instance, if I were King of the
Game, I would have us send in reinforcement orders via escrow as well as
political phase orders.  There are 2 reasons for this preference.  A)  The
less waiting around we have to do to see others' orders the quicker the game
will go.  Case in point:  JJ recently sent an email saying that his
reinforcement orders were ready to send, but he had to delay sending them
until he sees the Spanish orders.  Now, he was kind enough to send them to
Joel to forward to the group once Danny has sent in the Spanish orders, but
that still is likely to produce a delay of anywhere from 1 to 24 hours
between the time that Danny sends his orders and the time that Joel sees
them.  B)  I think sending in orders simultaneously produces a "fog of war"
type effect that I find appealing.  (Maybe this is something similar to
Mike's "aesthetic" appreciation of our policy of revealing political orders
simultaneously.)  It just seems hard to justify that some major powers have
better spy networks than others, and are therefore permitted to observe
their enemies' placement of forces before placing their own.  Simultaneity
would provide a more realistic situation where you place your new forces in
ignorance of where your enemy will place theirs.
    In fact, I am even intrigued by stories I've heard on the internet of
people who play this game using simultaneous naval and land orders!
However, I realize that changing naval and land movement to make them
simultaneous would require making fundamental changes in the basic concept
of how the game is played.  But in any case, I'm a big fan of simultaneity,
especially in a PBEM game.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents.

kdh