Joel Uckelman on 15 Nov 2003 23:16:42 -0000

Re: [eia] Turkish Land Phase, August 1807

Thus spake Michael Gorman:
> Another issue that I at least see as related is whether the presence of a
> foreign depot would count as the presence of troops for the purposes of
> attacking a fleet you are not at war with.  My feeling is that the presence
> of a Turkish depot on the Austrian fleet would allow Spain to attack that
> fleet without a declaration of war.
>
> If it does not, then I'm inclined to say it should not be possible to build
> the depot without having a corps there at the beginning of the land
> phase.  Otherwise I'm inclined to agree with JJ that this seems to be
> slipping past the normal depot rules and nothing in the terms for building
> a depot on a fleet implies in any way that I can see immunity from the
> normal depot placement rules.
>
> Mike

I'm not convinced by this. Austria could supply my troops with an Austrian
depot, and that wouldn't allow Spain to attack the Venetian fleet; that's
not in dispute. But how would anyone with the Spanish navy be able to
determine the origin of the supplies without boarding the Venetian ships?
And if they found that the supplies were headed for my troops, why would
the Spaniards care who paid for the supplies? I can't see them saying,
"Oh, these are *Austrian* supplies, carry on then!"

So, either you shouldn't be able to attack fleets on account of depots,
or you should be able to attack fleets supplying your enemies, regardless
of who owns the depot. It doesn't make any sense to me to treat these cases
differently.