Michael Gorman on 17 Nov 2003 18:31:11 -0000

Re: [eia] Turkish Land Phase, August 1807

> I'm not convinced by this. Austria could supply my troops with an Austrian
> depot, and that wouldn't allow Spain to attack the Venetian fleet; that's
> not in dispute. But how would anyone with the Spanish navy be able to
> determine the origin of the supplies without boarding the Venetian ships?
> And if they found that the supplies were headed for my troops, why would
> the Spaniards care who paid for the supplies? I can't see them saying,
> "Oh, these are *Austrian* supplies, carry on then!"
>
> So, either you shouldn't be able to attack fleets on account of depots,
> or you should be able to attack fleets supplying your enemies, regardless
> of who owns the depot. It doesn't make any sense to me to treat these
cases
> differently.

In that case, I'm of the opinion that you cannot place an invasion depot
upon a fleet unless you have a corps there.  What I mentioned was what I saw
as a potential exception to the placing a corps outside of your home nation
rule.  But as you point out a good reason why that won't work, I'd say that
you can only place an invasion depot on a foreign fleet if you meet the
normal rules for depot placement outside of your nation.

Yes, the exact wording for invasion supply sends you to a different section,
but there is nothing in either the depot creation rules or the sea supply
section placed elsewhere that indicates that naval depots are exempt from
any of the standard depot placement restrictions.  I would say that a fleet
counts as a corps if that isn't made explicit somewhere so that if you had a
Turkish fleet present you could place the Turkish depot on the Austrian
fleet and then have the Turkish fleet sail off to other areas but lacking
some forces to build the depot, I would say a Turkish depot cannot be built.

Mike

Mike