Kyle H on 4 Oct 2003 13:40:39 -0000

Re: [eia] [escrow] July 1807 Political Orders

    So let's see here.  Below I am putting together a matrix of combined
movement requests to help me sort out who was successful and who wasn't.  It
seems clear to me that no one can successfully combine with Turkey, since
Turkey didn't offer to combine with anyone.  So I will leave Turkey out of
the matrix.

(Country)       A   GB   P
Austria asks:                X
Britain asks:    X          X
Prussia asks:   X    X

    At first glance, it looks like Austria and Prussia successfully combine
and Prussia and Britain successfully combine.  But if we say both of those
things, then we are effectively saying that Britain, Austria, and Prussia
all three successfully combined, and that is clearly *not* the case (because
Austria did not offer to combine with Britain).
    So, one important constraint on our resolution of this issue is that it
cannot be the case that all three of Britain, Austria, and Prussia have
successfully combined movement.  The implication of this constraint is that,
at most, only one pair (GB & Prussia) or (Austria & Prussia) can have
combined movement.
    Here's where I'm having trouble.  I can't see any reason to prefer one
of these two combinations over the other.  Can anyone else see any such
reason?  Because in the absence of a reason to prefer one combination over
the other, the only fair thing to say is that *no one* successfully combines
movement.  (At least that's the way it seems to me.)

    However, I'm willing to be convinced that I'm looking at this the wrong
way...  Anybody have an alternative suggestion (or a reason to prefer one
combination over the other)?

kdh