Danny Mount on 27 Aug 2003 21:22:00 -0000

RE: [eia] Austrian Land Phase

For all purposes, this movement was during the time-period that Spain was in
"Limbo" between its past and present owner.  I suppose if I announced that
Austria had access to Lombardy then it was because an agreement had already
been made in the past with the former owner of Spain and I felt like I
needed to honor what pact had already been made.

As for now, if it means to JJ that Spain is altering anything then I guess
that is the case.  But I state again that my intention was for Spain's
homeland to be the access, so I do not see it as an alteration.

Danny

-----Original Message-----
From: eia-bounces@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:eia-bounces@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
J.J. Young
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 8:56 PM
To: eia@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fw: [eia] Austrian Land Phase

Actually, I have now found an example where Austria moved troops into and
through Lombardy (which was then Spanish-controlled) in April of 1805.  The
relevant corps moved from Turin ---> Milan ---> Mantua.  Austria apparently
felt at the time that they had access to move through Spanish territory
outside of the home nation.  Spain made no objection at the time.  So what I
want to know is, was the Spanish access statement of May, '05 intended to
_scale_back_ some of the access that had existed previously ?  In other
words, that the allies who had previously had access to all
Spanish-controlled territories, now only had access to the home nation ?  I
find it hard to get this from "Spain grants unlimited access".

I know I'm badgering, and I'm sorry.  My only point is that it's impossible,
from my perspective, that this is a misunderstanding.  Of course Spain has
the right to change its access agreements as it chooses, within the rules.
But I am firmly convinced that Great Britain has had access to Languedoc up
until now, and if Spain wants to alter this, then it is a new change which
they must decide upon _now_, in May of 1807.

-JJY