Joel Uckelman on 18 Aug 2003 21:50:54 -0000

Re: [eia] Spanish Land Phase, 4/07

Thus spake "J.J. Young":

> >     In this case, I think that our previous interpretation of the rules
> > should apply for the remainder of this turn.  So Spain keeps its fleets
> > where they are and gets to supply the corps in Damietta via sea supply.
> But
> > even under our old interpretation of the rules, Naples would not have been
> > eligible for sea supply this turn.  So the corps at Naples loses 2 (not
> 3 -
> > thanks JJ) factors due to foraging losses.
> >     However, we are all aware that next turn the sea supply rules will be
> > enforced as written.  If Danny wishes to move his fleets, that will be his
> > choice.
> >
> > kdh
>
> I am uncomfortable with "letting things slide" with an incorrect rule for
> the rest of a
> turn.  This was not the case when we discovered the previous mistake about
> Languedoc; as soon as we discovered the correct rule, it went into effect,
> and Spain no longer collected the manpower.
>
> If we want to stay within the confines of April, in a way that changes
> nothing that has happened or could
> have happened, then Danny could have moved the I fleet to Palermo this turn,
> and build a depot there to provide sea supply.
> Or else Danny could just have the 4 corps at Damietta each forage at 5-.
>
> I feel a small change like this in April's orders would be less of a liberty
> than letting an incorrect rule stand after we've found out about it.
>
> -JJY

I think there have been ocassions on which unfavorable forage rolls had to be
made do to misunderstandings of the rules. (I seem to recall this happening
to Prussia, perhaps more than once, even.) If that's the case, we ought
to be consistent and make the Naples garrison forage. Moreover, in light
of Danny's naval moves, I was counting on the Naples garrison's having to
forage this turn. Granted, that expectation didn't affect my moves, but
it remains that it could have. And not that I'm keeping count, but teleporting
a fleet to Barcelona would to date give Spain 10I courtesy of rules disputes.
I think I would view that as excessive even if I weren't in the position of
having to kill them all myself.

Obviously, I am not unbiased---I really, really want the Naples garrison to
forage---so you should take my argument with whatever quantity of salt you
deem appropriate.