Kyle H on 8 Aug 2003 12:14:43 -0000

[eia] voluntary access

> From: britain@xxxxxxxxx
> Date: Fri 08 Aug 2003 03:25:47
>

> The Austrian Empire and Kingdom of Prussia are granted unlimited access to
> all British-controlled territories until further notice.

    After having read a few access agreements that are worded in this way, I
feel compelled to remind everyone of a very important rule regarding limited
access:  it cannot be rescinded!  10.3.1.2.1 (General Access Rules) states,
"Once inside another's province or controlled minor country, the voluntary
access permission to be there may not be rescinded (unless war between the
major power's [sic] negates the agreement)."
    On the other hand, it is possible to limit access agreement *before*
another power enters your territory.  10.3.1.2.2 (Voluntary Access
Limitations) states, "Voluntary access permission might be limited....
'Conditional access' is also possible....  This is up to the players, who
may wish to put the conditions in writing.  The player having access *must*
obey the conditions set.  The player through whose territory access is
desired may set any conditions...."  (Since the players "must" obey the
conditions set, I would think that putting the conditions in writing is a
necessity rather than an option.  In fact, we have agreed that all access
agreements and their conditions must be published for the whole group.)

    On my reading of these rules, it is possible for a power to set a time
limit as a condition of entry.  But this condition must be explicitly stated
*prior* to the entry of foreign forces.  Because once those forces are in
your country, there is no way to kick them out (or change the conditions).

    Anyway, I hope this is food for thought for all those countries who are
free and loose with voluntary access permission.  You should be aware that
it may be trickier than you thought to get rid of an invited guest once he
is in your country.  The best way to protect yourself is with very specific
access conditions.

kdh

P.S.  I don't think that "you'll leave whenever I say so" is a valid
condition.  If it were, then what would be the point of making conditions?