Kyle H on 5 Aug 2003 18:59:00 -0000

Re: [eia] Spanish Land Phase, 2/07

    JJ is exactly right.  We did have a lengthy discussion about this issue
once before.  And, at the time, we decided that the term "garrison" for the
purposes of supply refers to all the factors inside a besieged city,
regardless of how they may or may not be organized into corps.  This ruling
was in accordance with the prevailing opinion of the online EiA/EiH
community.  (Although there is conflicting language in the rules, the rule
that supports this view is 7.3.3.3.2 which reads: "Corps may form all or
part of a city garrision without detaching army factors....")

    So the implication of the rules under that interpretation would seem to
be that the entire garrison can eat for $0.5.  (And I seem to recall JJ
using this rule to his advantage in the Italian campaign back in 1805, but I
could be mistaken.)

    I have some sympathy for Joel's objection that it should not be cheaper
to feed a besieged army than it is to feed an army in the field, but at the
end of the day, I'm not sure I agree with it.  (An army in the field is
spread out over much larger distances and is, therefore, harder to supply
than an army holed up in a city.  The more localized the army is, the easier
it is to feed.)

    In any case, my final opinion is that Spain's orders are correct: Spain
can feed the entire garrison at Algiers for $0.5.  However, I wouldn't be
surprised if there were differences of opinion.

kdh