Kyle H on 4 Aug 2003 21:20:16 -0000

Re: [eia] Turkish Land Phase, February 1807

    I agree with JJ.  It just doesn't make sense that a corps that is on
boats in the docks of a port has to be unloaded into the area *outside* the
city.  I think the rules could have been a bit clearer on this point, but I
would chalk that up to unintended vagueness.  There's just no other
explanation.
    If anyone is interested, here's what Empires in Harm has to say:

"Corps being transported on Fleets that moved into a port must disembark in
the port's area. If the port is under siege, and they will not fit inside
the port, the excess Corps are disembarked outside the port, and must fight
the besiegers in a trivial combat.  Corps may not land in a port without
passing through the port's blockade box" (Rule 7.3.8).

Notice that this wording is exactly the same as the wording in EiA ("port's
area"), but the rest of the rule clearly implies that corps can disembark
into ports if they fit.  So apparently, the EiH authors are using the phrase
"port's area" to indicate that the corps may disembark into any part of the
port's area - the land area outside the port *or* the port that is contained
within.  (I guess they felt that since both the port and the surrounding
territory are part of the same area, there was no need to specify.  I don't
think it is too much of a stretch to think that the authors of EiA had the
same intention.)  In any case, it is clear that the authors of EiH thought
that disembarking into a besieged port city is permitted.

    I'm sure Danny would agree that he doesn't have to disembark outside the
city.  So 4 people's opinions are known.  Would anyone else like to share
their view?

kdh