Joel Uckelman on 4 Aug 2003 16:48:09 -0000

Re: [eia] Turkish Land Phase, February 1807

Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> So, am I interpreting the rules correctly, that the Spanish cavalry corps
> has not yet disembarked, and is still on the ships in Algiers harbor, rather
> than being part of the city garrison ?
>
> If this is the case (and I'm not giving anything away here, because there
> are no choices involved), then if the city is captured, then the fleet must
> move out to the Algiers blockade box, or the sea space off the coast.  The
> cavalry corps, then, _must_ land in an adjacent land area on the Spanish
> land phase, or demobilize.
>
> I'm referencing rules 7.3.5 and 6.2.6.
>
> -JJY

I think Spain is in that situation regardless. 7.3.5 says that "Corps being
transported on fleets that moved into a port must disembark in the port's
area." This doesn't say "into the port". I realize that there's a case to
be made for a port being in its area, but if both were options, I expect
they would have said "into the port or its area" instead. And there are
already clear cases of prohibition on defenders in besieged cities being
reinforced, e.g., 5.2.2.2.1 and 5.2.2.2.2 disallow the placement of new
factors in besieged corps and garrisons, regardless of their presence in an
unblockaded port. So I believe Spain's options are 1) disembark into the
area, which initiates a battle with the Tunisians, or 2) disband.

--
J.