Joel Uckelman on 30 Apr 2003 03:09:01 -0000

Re: [eia] a try for a simple solution to 12.4

Thus spake "J.J. Young":

> Why ?  I guess I'm just being dense.  If garrisons either leave or end up
> with one of their own corps, then the odds of successfully getting those
> factors out of the former enemy territory are very good.  There is the
> remote possibility that the nation in question will both a)  not have enough
> room left in that corps, and b) not have any unused corps counters (very
> unlikely, if the war has gone on any length of time).

This is exactly the situation I'm thinking of.

> I think these chances for getting garrison factors out are more than fair.
> After all, there's no obligation to write the rule so that all garrison
> factors are _guaranteed_ to get out, is there ?
>
> -JJY

It's not that I think it's unfair, as this would apply equally to everyone;
rather, it poorly simulates what would happen in such a situation. I think
there's a solution at hand that isn't onerous and is commensurate with the
level of detail at which we're simulating. A garrison in that situation would
not simply disband---that would ammount to desertion. Rather it would do what
presumably happens when honors of war are given during sieges: the garrison
packs up and marches somewhere else.

Picture the following: Turkey is at war with Austria near the end of the
year. The Turks have garrisoned a bunch of cities in Austria, but subsequently
the Janissary corps that dropped off the garrisons is forced back across the
border. Now all that Turkey has left in Austria are feudals, and all three
regular corps are already on the map. If Turkey and Austria make peace at this
point, all of the Turkish garrisons are dead under your proposal, since
modified honors of war wouldn't take them out of Austria, the feudals can't
pick them up, and they can't form a new corps.

So I think that if we're going to implement honors of war we should do it
the way I described last, as that avoids both this problem and the
teleportation problem by introducing lag for travel time.