Joel Uckelman on 29 Apr 2003 15:47:01 -0000

Re: [eia] more 12.4

Thus spake "Everett E. Proctor":
> I also think that we should interpret victory condition B.7. such that a prov
> ince adjacent to the victor's territory must be chosen, and if none
> exist, only then a territory that contains a victors corp may be chosen.
> This way, if it is a possibility to have a corp isolated this way, the
> victor would know that before hand, and it would be part of the
> consequence that he would have to consider and live with when choosing
> that condition.
>
> I would be in favor of something much simpler than what this is growing
> into.  Something like:
>
> -Garrison forces are repatriated immediately (much like the Honors of
> War teleportation)
>
> - No new Corp can enter the opponent's territories.
>
> - Corps and other units (Cossack, freicorp, etc.) currently in the
> opponent's territory must move each turn so that their closest point of
> exit is closer than their closest point of exit was previously.
>
> -Everett

It now strikes me that most of the complexity here is due to having to
accommodate garrison retrieval. I doubt that a real garrison, once it
received word that the war was over, would have waited for its parent
formation to pick it up. Instead, it would have received orders to meet
with the parent formation someplace and set out marching home.

Marching home should take some time, so I don't like the idea of
teleporting them directly to a friendly city. Instead, we could do this:

1. At the time peace is made, garrisons in the territory of a former
belligerent must be designated for pickup or delivery. Garrisons designated
for pickup must be picked up by a corps, or will disband after three months
in cities or six months guarding a depot. Garrisons designated for delivery
will reappear in the nearest friendly city in which there is room (with
overflow going to the next nearest friendly city) after a number of months
equal to the least number of movement points it would take to travel there
divided by three, rounded up. If more than six months of this virtual
movement is spent within the territory of a former belligerent and an
access agreement does not exist, that garrison so moving is disbanded.

2. No new corps may enter the territory of a former belligerent without an
access agreement.

3. A ground unit owned by one former belligerent in another former
belligerent's territory may move only by satisfying one of the following
conditions, using movement points as the distance metric:
 a. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest friendly accessible
area.
 b. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest of the former
belligerent's ports.
 c. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest enemy area, and the
nearest enemy area is nearer than the nearest friendly area.
 d. The ground unit begins its move in an area that can be reached overland
by a still belligerent unit from its current location during that unit's
next move.

4. A fleet owned by a former belligerent may enter a port of another former
belligerent if a land unit allied with that power is in the port or could
enter the port later during the turn.

5. A fleet that enters a port under 4 must embark during the next naval
phase, carrying at least one land unit if possible. A fleet that enters
Constantinople without an access agreement must exit the Dardanelles into
the area through which it entered.

Comments:

This would eliminate all of the problems associated with garrisons. If you
designate a garrison for pickup, and you aren't able to carry it away in
time, tough, since delivery is available (within a 6-month radius).

I think 3.c takes care of the objection that if France defeated Prussia it
could march all the way across Prussia in order to exit into Russia.

I changed 3.d to address Everett's objection that the "enemy forces nearby"
dispensation would almost always apply to anyone at war with Britain, due
to naval transport. It is now restricted to enemy units that can reach a
friendly corps by traveling entirely overland. (I think this better
reflects the sort of intelligence our commanders would have about the
disposition of enemy troops.)

--
J.