Joel Uckelman on 28 Apr 2003 20:40:00 -0000

Re: [eia] rewriting 12.4

Thus spake Michael Gorman:
[snip]
> I would make the access apply to forces in the major power peace was made
> with at the time of peace, but before peace terms were applied, thus
> avoiding stranding forces in areas under control after the peace terms, but
> forces not in the other major power's territory could not enter that
> territory without permission.  This would require either turning garrisons
> into corps so they could move themselves or picking them up with corps
> already in the major power you just made peace with or getting the power's
> permission to enter.

It's possible that the number of factors in garrison a major power that you
made peace with exceeds the remaining capacity in the corps you have within
that major power's territory, and you have no empty corps to build. The one
thing that I think should absolutely not happen in this situation is that
some of the garrisons die because you're prohibited from moving in more
corps to pick them up.

That doesn't match what I wrote up, either. Hmm.

> The exception would be fleets which could enter a port to pick up a corps
> at the city so long as the access time limits were met.  We could apply a
> physically possible clause similar to that in declaring war on a minor to
> determine if a fleet could enter a port.  If it is possible for a corps to
> get to that city during the land phase so it can be shipped out the
> following naval phase, then the fleet can enter the port.  This way both
> could arrive in one month and depart the following month.  Otherwise it
> would take three months to take a ship out.  Month 1, corp arrives, month
> 2, fleet enters, month 3, fleet and corps leaves.

I had thought about this; I'm not sure why I didn't implement it, since it
seems like a good idea to me.

> For departure, I was going to do things the same way Joel did, that you can
> go out through any nation you have access to and once departed, you cannot
> re-enter without permission.  A nation you are at war with or a neutral
> minor nation would both constitute cases of access.
>
> There would remain some ability to mess with a nation you made peace with,
> but that will always be the case if we make the troops walk out rather than
> just have them vanish and reappear at the border.

I think that's historically accurate---it certainly would have been
possible for one power to make foraging difficult for another power's corps
on the way out.

--
J.