Michael Gorman on 28 Apr 2003 20:25:01 -0000

Re: [eia] rewriting 12.4

> Something else which needs to be considered: It shouldn't be necessary to
> exit a major power into someplace you control. It should also be possible
> to exit a major power with whom you just made peace by entering a major
> power you're at war with.

So if France were, say, at war with Prussia and Russia, and French forces
were one province into Prussia when a Franco-Prussian peace is made, would
the French forces then be able to cross through all the rest of Prussia in
order to invade Russia ?

-JJY
I would say they could, but forces not in Prussia at the time of peace could not. So as long as France was willing to fight the war with just the available forces and without reliable supply lines, they'd be fine. Otherwise, they'd need Prussian permission.

The one component of Joel's proposal that wasn't going to be in the one I was putting together is allowing corps to enter to collect garrisons. Otherwise, as long as there were French garrisons scattered about, they could pass all the forces they wanted in Prussia in JJ's example.

I would make the access apply to forces in the major power peace was made with at the time of peace, but before peace terms were applied, thus avoiding stranding forces in areas under control after the peace terms, but forces not in the other major power's territory could not enter that territory without permission. This would require either turning garrisons into corps so they could move themselves or picking them up with corps already in the major power you just made peace with or getting the power's permission to enter.

The exception would be fleets which could enter a port to pick up a corps at the city so long as the access time limits were met. We could apply a physically possible clause similar to that in declaring war on a minor to determine if a fleet could enter a port. If it is possible for a corps to get to that city during the land phase so it can be shipped out the following naval phase, then the fleet can enter the port. This way both could arrive in one month and depart the following month. Otherwise it would take three months to take a ship out. Month 1, corp arrives, month 2, fleet enters, month 3, fleet and corps leaves.

For departure, I was going to do things the same way Joel did, that you can go out through any nation you have access to and once departed, you cannot re-enter without permission. A nation you are at war with or a neutral minor nation would both constitute cases of access.

There would remain some ability to mess with a nation you made peace with, but that will always be the case if we make the troops walk out rather than just have them vanish and reappear at the border.