Michael Gorman on 28 Apr 2003 20:30:00 -0000

Re: [eia] rewriting 12.4

At 06:37 AM 4/28/2003 -0400, you wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Uckelman" <uckelman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <eia@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 1:39 AM
Subject: Re: [eia] rewriting 12.4

> Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> > If this was how we would end up handling an end to the Russian war right
> > now, then could the British forces move to St.P for transport home, and
> > would this require Russian permission, or would it be part of the
"limited
> > access" automatically provided ?
> >
> > -JJY

The biggest restraint on this case is that unlike voluntary access where a return access cannot be forbidden, this access would not give you the right for your corps to return. This could result in a situation where at the end of the war in Russia, France might have access to no neighboring nation and its army would demobilize after 6 months since it could not leave Russian territory. If the war ended with France getting control of land, it'd be fine, but sending those troops out would potentially be a one way trip that could be very expensive.

So, yes, you could do something like that, but as your supply lines would vanish when your access to Prussia did and then you might have literally no way to get supplies or reinforcements in. After the war, you might have no way to get your army back and would lose the entire thing. Those risks seem to be sufficient constraints to minimize this problem.

Mike