Kyle H on 28 Mar 2003 21:32:01 -0000

[eia] Political Phase wrap-up (09/05)

    FYI, here is a complete list of the results of the Sept. political
phase.

DECLARATIONS OF WAR
Austria declares war on Russia.  (-3 PP)
Turkey declares war on Tripolitania (-1 PP)
Spain declares war on Morocco (-1 PP)
Russia takes control of Morocco (+1 PP)  [France declines sponsorship.]
France takes control of Tripolitania (+1 PP)  [No offense, Joel.  I just
want that extra political point.  :-)  ]

FREE STATES
Lombardy and Venetia (Austria)

COMBINED MOVEMENT
Russia and France combine movement.
Below is a matrix representing the combined movement declarations of the
remaining 5 major powers:
(I hope the Plain Text formatting doesn't screw this up...)

       Au    GB    Pr    Sp    Tu
Au    X    yes    yes    yes    yes
GB  yes    X    yes    yes    yes
Pr   NO  yes     X    yes    yes
Sp  NO    yes    yes    X     yes
Tu  NO    yes    yes    yes    X

The only question about this matrix is Spain's reference to "the Coalition".
Since Prussia and Turkey did not include Austria as part of "the Coalition",
there is no reason to assume that Spain meant to include Austria as a
Coalition member either.  (Mike is right - each individual country should be
listed separately to avoid situations like this.)

    Although Everett is right that the rules do not intend for the entire
political phase to be revealed all at once, that's the way we've been doing
things to speed up play.  I recall that France got screwed on this point
once as well.  (In the same month that Prussia and Spain declared war on
France, France declared Wurttemburg a free state.  I would not have done
that if I had known that I was about to be attacked by 2 other countries.)
So, having been forced to stick with my decision in the past, I'm not sure
it would be fair to let other countries go back and fix their political
orders now.  (However, if you are proposing a change in the way we do
political orders from now on, I'd be willing to consider that idea.)

    Please be aware that this is an INFANTRY reinforcement month.  Please
start looking ahead now to how you will place your reinforcements so that
that phase goes more quickly.  Thanks.

kdh