Kyle H on 21 Dec 2002 23:38:01 -0000

Re: [eia] dice re-roll policy

>          But I want a general statement about how we'll handle this the
> next time it happens.  I want everyone involved so we can hash this out
> once and not need to do it again later.  This is why I think we are
looking
> at this at different levels.  I want a general decision about how to
handle
> this situation when we screw up and it happens again, because one of us
> probably will.

    I already tried to build a consensus on this matter, but I didn't feel
like I was making any progress.  Maybe it got lost in the volume of mail
that has been sent today, so let me repeat my attempt in as distilled a form
as I can:

(CANDIDATE) GENERAL PRINCIPLE FOR RE-ROLLING COMBATS:
A player should be required to re-roll combat rolls *only* when failing to
re-roll would benefit the one who made the mistake.

(Notice that I am ignoring forage rolls, because those can get very thorny,
and I'm not sure a general principle can accommodate every situation.)  By
using this format I was following your complaint that, by not re-rolling,
Prussia was benefitting from its own mistake.  (I have yet to hear how it
has benefitted, though.)
    It seemed to me that this general principle is something we all believe
and can support.  In practical terms, I see the general principle working as
follows:  if someone believed that a re-roll was in order, that player would
present evidence that the player who made the mistake has benefitted from
not re-rolling.  If we can be convinced that the mistake-maker has
benefitted from his mistake, then re-rolls would be required.  (I am
presuming that players of good will can determine the merits of such a claim
honestly.)

    That's my contribution.  If it helps, I'm glad.  If not, that's fine.
Either way, it's none of my business, and I'm sure whatever you guys decide
will be fine.

kdh