Michael Gorman on 11 Dec 2002 19:13:01 -0000

Re: [eia] evasion attempt off Naples

At 12:47 PM 12/11/2002 -0500, you wrote:
    I agree with Mike.  The order of events plus the wording of the rule Mike cited both indicate that an interception attempt can be made and announced as soon as a stack enters an eligible sea zone.  Since the sea zone that the enemy stack is in is an eligible sea zone and since interception attempts come before combat declarations, interception can always be attempted before movement ends and an attack is declared.
    (BTW, in our movement orders, we did not give the British VII fleet an opportunity to intercept us as we approached.  I think we assumed that since the VII fleet did not intercept one enemy fleet, it would also choose not to intercept two enemy fleets.  However, if we were mistaken in our assumption, then the British VII fleet definitely has the option of retroactively intercepting our two fleets either in the adjacent sea zone, in its own sea zone, or both.  Note: the British VI fleet does not get the opportunity to intercept because it is in a blockade box.)

kdh

P.S.  Here's another situation where I only found out about JJ's email because of Mike's reply.  Joel, if there's anything you can do to shore up the email system to make it more reliable, I'd certainly appreciate it.  But if not, I understand.

        The blockading British fleet could not choose to intercept any ship outside of the blockade box.

6.2.3.1.2.3: A fleet entering a blockade box may only be intercepted by enemy fleets which currently occupy that blockade box and a fleet in a blockade box may only intercept enemy fleets which enter that blockade box (and the interception is automatic if attempted)

        Fleets in unblockaded ports can intercept in the adjacent sea squares but I believe it is being assumed that a blockading fleet is too busy blockading the port and not deployed to zip off and intercept someone anywhere else.

Mike