Danny Mount on 9 Nov 2002 04:11:03 -0000

RE: [eia] A Letter of Grievance

Spain does not choose to change its desire for Lombardy.  Therefore Napoleon
must make his decision as to keep his word or to break it.  I trust you will
make a wise decision, after all, Napoleon is a Gentleman is he not?

King Charles of Spain

-----Original Message-----
From: eia-admin@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:eia-admin@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Kyle
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 2:35 PM
To: eia@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [eia] A Letter of Grievance

    To the Monarchs of Europe and Asia Minor,

    Earlier this month, in an attempt to secure peace between France and the
British Coalition, We agreed in good faith to allow British forces to leave
French territory unmolested upon cessation of hostilities.  However, the
recent territorial demands made by Spain (and undoubtedly urged by Great
Britain) undermine the trust and honor that was the foundation for our
gentleman's agreement.  By demanding control of Lombardy as a condition of
peace, Spain and Great Britain seek to separate France from Her territories
in Italy.  Once cut off from French military support, these territories will
be virtually defenseless against British aggression.  We find it supremely
insulting that the British Coalition would expect France to stand idly by
while British forces move to attack Her defenseless Italian provinces.  WE
WILL NOT BE MADE FOOLS OF IN THIS WAY!
    If Spain wishes to respond in kind to the good faith with which France
initiated these peace negotiations, then She will make a more reasonable
territorial selection.  In that case, France will be happy to honor the
agreement she has made to allow British troops to retire from the field of
battle in peace.  However, if Spain and Great Britain continue to insult
France by demanding control of Lombardy, this dishonorable treatment will
serve to nullify our gentleman's agreement.  In that case, France will do
everything currently in her power to eliminate Great Britain's capacity to
engage in future aggression against France's possessions in Italy.

It is Our hope that the Spanish and English Kings will consider this
Grievance with careful attention and rectify the situation in such a way
that the honor of all parties is respected.  Kindly inform Us of your
decision at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Napoleon Bonaparte,
Emperor of France

<OOC - P.S. I'll be out of town without access to email until Sunday night.>