Michael Gorman on 25 Jun 2002 06:40:02 -0000

Re: [eia] Bavarian siege rolls

At 12:41 PM 6/24/02 -0400, you wrote:

> (Q:  does one of the loses on the turn of breakage must be a cavalry
> factor, or does that only apply to field combat?)

    I believe that it only applies to field combats, but my reasoning
depends on the reasoning for guard commitment.  (See below.)

7.5.4.1.3.3: {Any} type of army factor may be removed as a casualty, at the controlling player's option, during any round of assault combat.

I think this would indicate that cavalry casualties do not have to result from breaking in a siege battle.

> P.S.  I can't find in the rules where guard commitment is not allowed
> during siege combat.   I do see where Siege combat "is resolved
> similarly to trivial combat" (7.5.4.1.3), and that trivial combat does
> allow guard commitment (7.5.3.2),  but I don't see where siege combat
> disallows guard commitment.
Since the siege combat procedure seems to focus on not allowing any of the modifiers to be used, I would expect that Guard commitment would be swept out along with all the other things you can't do. The rules on siege combat are meant to be as simple as possible and it looks like they just threw out everything but the three die rolls.

Mike