Kyle H on 24 Jun 2002 16:43:03 -0000

Re: [eia] Bavarian siege rolls

> (Q:  does one of the loses on the turn of breakage must be a cavalry
> factor, or does that only apply to field combat?)

    I believe that it only applies to field combats, but my reasoning
depends on the reasoning for guard commitment.  (See below.)

> P.S.  I can't find in the rules where guard commitment is not allowed
> during siege combat.   I do see where Siege combat "is resolved
> similarly to trivial combat" (7.5.4.1.3), and that trivial combat does
> allow guard commitment (7.5.3.2),  but I don't see where siege combat
> disallows guard commitment.

Interesting.  You're right that the rules for guard commitment do not
specifically rule it out during a siege (as the rules for using artillery
do).  However, I would still maintain that guard commitment can only be done
during a field (or limited field) combat because guard commitment is
contained as a step in the field combat procedure (and it is not mentioned
in the siege combat procedure).  Take a look at 7.5.2.  The title of that
section is "Field Combat Procedure".  Then 7.5.2.8 - a subsection of 7.5.2 -
is the step for guard and artillery use.  This reasoning is not airtight,
but I think it is correct.
    BTW, the same reasoning would be used to deny that there has to be a
cavalry loss when a side breaks during a siege combat.  I.e., since that
rule is contained in the field combat procedures and is not mentioned in the
siege combat procedures, it doesn't apply to siege combat.  (And it just
doesn't make as much sense that cavalry would be needed to defend the
retreat from the city walls.)

> P.S.S.  When the dice server cuts off text on the comments, you can see
> the rest of it if you scroll down and look at the quoted "original
> message".  (which was my fault for not putting the "#C" at the beginning
> of the wrapped text).

Very good point.  Thanks.

kdh