Craig Daniel on Fri, 6 Nov 2009 09:41:54 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] [change] Ballot for nweek 160 - 03 Nov 2009.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Geoffrey Spear <wooble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:10 AM, James Baxter <jebaxter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Evidence: Regardless of any recent communication, Marr965 sent a message to spoon-business@xxxxxxxxx on the 17 October
>> 2009 stating that e had read the ruleset.
>>

>> Arguments: Marr965's recent messages have shown e has not read the rules on voting, the part of which that is relevant to the
>> messages sent having not changed since e supposedly read the ruleset. This indicated that the original claim of ruleset reading
>> was  a lie and violates rule 81.
>
> But this NoV deals with a specific act.  E can't be found GUILTY just
> because e may have broken the same rule with a different, earlier act.
>  And I doubt any of us has 100% perfect knowledge of everything in the
> ruleset.

Yeah this.

Also, it doesn't matter whether e's read the ruleset or not for
whether e's GUILTY of the specific NOV; the fact that it's quite
possible e has is why I suggest APOLOGY as a sentence - depending, of
course, on what the accused has to say in eir defense.

The correct verdict appears, to me, to rest entirely on whether or not
reposting a message to the PF with the obvious intent of doing that
stuff publicly works even if you don't chop off the headers and the >
before every line. I assert that it does, and that making it
straightforward to do things to the PF is in the best interests of the
game - especially as people have been known to make such reposts with
only the letters "ttPF" rather than an explicit "I do this ttPF." This
former phrasing does not explicitly perform the actions any more than
Marr's repost-with-apology did, but we have generally accepted it in
the past.

(The above should maybe be considered as gratuitous arguments, btw.)

 - teucer