Craig Daniel on Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:13:58 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultations on the Pencil Sharpener

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Roger Hicks <pidgepot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 15:58, Craig Daniel <teucer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> {Question: Are the answers to Pondered Consultations correct, after
>> the Consultations become Pondered?
>> Unbeliever: ehird
>> Arguments: if not, then what the fuck is the point of Consultations?
>
> Tsk, tsk....if this were Agora I'd dock you a prop for language.

If the Oracle wishes to zot my consultation for language, I will be
happy to resubmit a version edited to not contain any swear words.
Specifically, the Question would be the same but the Arguments would
be replaced by "If not, then our justice system is the most pointless
thing ever and anyone who has ever been ordained is an utter moron who
is cordially invited to apply reduced pressure to a portion of my
anatomy which I would not have had I been born without a Y
chromosome."

It's up to BP. We can have the offensive version, or the version with
a word that you probably shouldn't say in church.

> I believe that pondered consultations have no effect whatsoever on the
> game (other than perhaps making clear which of the current quantum
> gamestates is the correct one). In 3rd era there was a clause that
> said "the answer to pondered consultations shall guide future play" or

There is either ambiguity or there is not, and judgments either matter or not.

If there's no ambiguity, then it doesn't matter if they do anything;
either way, the judge will state what is trivially already the case.
If there's ambiguity and they matter, then they clear up which
situation is the correct one as you suggest. This sounds like a Good
Thing to me.
If there's ambiguity but they have no effect, then all they do is tell
us what one person (the Priest) thinks; in that case they don't
actually clear up anything at all.

You can't have it both ways. Either they can't actually clear up which
quantum gamestate is correct, or they affect the gamestate. I believe
that despite the explicit confirmation of this fact having been
removed from the ruleset (possibly several times) between when I left
B and when I rejoined, the interpretation where they actually have a
point.

> some such. In 4th era it was changed to create the Oracularity system
> which allowed Priests the opportunity to implement the changes
> effected by their answer and reasoning. However, this appears to have
> been stripped out of the rule since I left B several months back. A
> shame if you ask me because (at least for those players who understood
> it) it worked rather nicely.

Having been party to the reasoning behind removing it, the idea was
that what it was actually being used for was as a way of patching
gamestates judged to be broken, a purpose for which one ought to use
Tweaks or Proposals.