Geoffrey Spear on Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:14:31 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Logical Hand Grenade: 5 Seconds Later

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Jamie Dallaire
<bad.leprechaun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  2) the future game actions provisions does not permit you to make a
>  game action at a time that is contingent on future events (such as on
>  an nday actually ending). then again no one has made this
>  interpretation yet and no one said anything about me throwing the hot
>  tomato at 0x44 in this manner. i don't know but there might be
>  something in the temporal prime directive that disallows this way of
>  doing things (?)...

My Answer totally missed the whole "not the end of nday 8" thing, but
yes, I do believe the Temporal Prime Directive prevents this from
being a paradox.  Whether or not the nday actually ends 3 minutes in
the future cannot have any effect on whether your action occurs or
not.  My Answer accidentally applies what I think is a common sense
approach, which is to liberally interpret "3 minutes before the end of
nday 8" to mean "at 23:57 UTC on nday 8, assuming the Clock is On at
that time" and have your action occur then.

A less liberal approach would just make specifications of ntime
relative to events that can be expected to happen in the future
completely meaningless and hold that your attempt to schedule a future
action failed from the outset.