Geoffrey Spear on Sat, 4 Aug 2007 17:39:54 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Proposal: Repeal Temporal Prime Directive

On 8/4/07, David E. Smith <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:
> > I guess I'm saying that we should either make it stronger, or get rid of
> > it. My vote is for getting rid of it.
> >
> Frankly, I'm surprised as heck that rule ever even passed. IIRC,
> "Monopoly Mode" was in effect at the time it passed, which should make
> it redundant. (As there's no rule that permits time travel, it's thus
> forbidden...)
>
> Out of curiosity, how would you make it stronger? I mean, it's basically
> a blanket forbiddance of screwing with time, which is about as strong as
> I know how to make it.

By that logic, the Monopoly Mode rule makes it illegal to create any
new rules whatsoever since before they're enacted there are no rules
allowing whatever the new rules allow.  Monopoly Mode doesn't forbid
retroactive rules because it only applies to things that aren't in the
Ruleset.  Once something retroactive was passed as a Rule, it would be
legal under Monopoly Mode unless there was something else in the
ruleset (namely, the temporal prime directive) that made it illegal.

--
Geoffrey Spear
http://www.geoffreyspear.com/