Daniel Lepage on 29 Jan 2004 16:44:13 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Improving the game

On Jan 29, 2004, at 11:11 AM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

If the sentence is evaluated at all, and I don't see why it would be
because it's just a text string, it should be evaluated in a single
instant, not piecemeal like C. But it's not like the rules are not
unresolvably contradictory as things are now, so why not?

I dunno... I think there's a pretty big difference between "silliness
that benefits the game" and "silliness that's stupid". I see no way in
which the game will profit from the inclusion of this contradiction; it doesn't seem particularly likely that it will affect anything, in fact,
but it certainly can't do anything good, though I can see how it could
be interpreted to do bad things. Thus, I would classify this as
"silliness that's stupid".

-A few things to consider. One, this is raising all kinds of discussion which I'm having a lot of fun reading. I call that a benefit, at least from where I'm sitting. Two, merchandising potential. Three... you know, it's not /your/ prop bandwidth being used up here. There's a difference between "silliness that's stupid and harmless" and "silliness that's stupid and threatens the game." At worst, this is stupid and harmless. This game could use an infusion of stupid, I think, especially because we keep repealing all the "silliness that benefits the game" when it begins to damage the game.-

But this sort of thing is only funny for a few minutes. I found your proposal amusing, when I read it. The concept is stupid, and that makes it funny. Except that after being amused for thirty seconds or so, then it's just stupid. You get that thing where you're laughing, and the laugh just sort of trails off, and suddenly you can't really remember why it seemed funny.

Don't get me wrong, I don't object to the fact that you made the proposal - it's funny, and it sparked some amusing conversations.

But I think it would be really stupid of us to pass it.

--
Wonko
Award Wonko a Win.