Baron von Skippy on 29 Jan 2004 16:20:02 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Improving the game

>>> Wouldn't it also entail that B Nomic is better than itself? I think
>>> it's a
>>> logical truth that for all x, x is not better than x.
>>>
>> -Only if you look at it mathmatically. In economics, the principle of
>> reflexivity says that for any set of goods a, a is better than or
>> equal to a. Besides, "B Nomic is better than anything except itself,
>> which it is only equal to" doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.-
>
>"Greater than" is not a reflexive relationship. "Greater than or equal
>to" is.

-And "greater than" is part of "greater than or equal to." What's the confusion?-

>If you claim that B Nomic is greater than itself, then we have a
>problem, as nothing can be greater than itself, and therefore logically
>B Nomic must not exist.
>
>That's a Bad Thing (tm).

-Only if you want to look at this in such a pessimistic way. I've seen a couple good arguments thus far that disprove you. Fine, though, you want to insist that this could send the game into a Big Bad Evil Spiral of Death, so what if I add a new paragraph to Rule 1 that reads "B Nomic exists. This rule takes precedence over all other rules that would attempt to deny, undermine, or contradict the existence of B Nomic."

Also, B Nomic is better than any argument, logical or otherwise, that would threaten its existence.-

[[BvS]]