Daniel Lepage on 29 Jan 2004 16:44:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Improving the game

On Jan 29, 2004, at 11:19 AM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

-Perhaps I should explain why I propose this. It's not just the
dead-end decl
aration of superiority it seems. Declaring that B Nomic is better
than anythi
ng implies:  B Nomic is better than sex. B Nomic is better than
peyote (which
, as I recall, was at least considered for inclusion in the motto).
B Nomic i
s better than two other games of B Nomic, both of which are better
than each
other and it. B Nomic is better than Rules 10, 33, and 1702. B Nomic
is bette
r than the adjective "better."

Wouldn't it also entail that B Nomic is better than itself? I think
it's a
logical truth that for all x, x is not better than x.

-Only if you look at it mathmatically. In economics, the principle of
reflexivity says that for any set of goods a, a is better than or
equal to a. Besides, "B Nomic is better than anything except itself,
which it is only equal to" doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.-

"Greater than" is not a reflexive relationship. "Greater than or equal
to" is.

-And "greater than" is part of "greater than or equal to." What's the confusion?-

Because the 'equal' bit is what makes it reflexive. You can say that a is better than or equal to a, because you know that a is equal to a. You can't say that a is better than a.

--
Wonko
Award Wonko a Win.