David E. Smith on 9 Jan 2004 23:50:11 -0000

[spoon-discuss] timing...

I worked out what was broken on nomic.net.

(For bored programmer geeks: The upgrades that Joel did included an
upgrade to PHP. The newer versions of PHP have a different default setting
for "register_globals," a relatively obscure but hideously useful setting
that, if modified, tends to break much code in strange ways.)

I've figured out how to fix it, but since I spent much of last night
working out the problem, I didn't spend that time last night entering
votes and doing vote counting and other useful activites.

Y'know, most of the stuff in the Admin side of the Web interface is not
too hard to figure out. I'm almost tempted to just make the login and
password for that semi-publicly available (i.e. give it to a few of the
players that have been around a while) and let you folks maintain the game
yourselves.

(It wouldn't work, because there is just about zero auditing, and no
clever rollback function, like in a Wiki. So if anyone got seriously
cranky, they could pretty much trash the whole gamestate and we'd all be
screwed.)

What all this boils down to is that I won't be able to do nweek-transition
stuff (like implementing passed props, etc.) before Sunday at least. I'm
gonna be tied up in the office all weekend, since late nights on weekends
is the only time it's really safe to try to swap out hardware like, oh,
336 modems, or our broadband bandwidth shaper, or Project X (we're not
calling it that, of course, but there is a semi-mysterious piece of
hardware about to be rolled out that we hope will shock and awe our
customers).

...dave

--
David E. Smith  dave@[technopagan.org|bureau42.com|whatisay.com|mvn.net]
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me?