Zarpint Jeremy Cook on 21 Dec 2003 19:50:46 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Response to Archer

Well, Bnomic-Public is a Forum. It is either Private or Public by rule
16 (unless that rule is overruled by rule 0). Actions can only be taken
in a Public Forum, also by rule 16 (unless that is overruled by rule 0).

So the options are:

1. It's Public (and I am a player)
2. It's Private (and I am not)
3. It's neither, because r0 overrules r16 saying that either 1 or 2 is true.

The only textual support I see for any of this is that some actions are taken
in it, suggesting it is Public. Ideally we would want case 3, but I don't
see r0 saying that the Forum is Public, Private, or neither, so there's no
conflict in that respect AFAIK.

The best solution, I think:

1. I will be recognized when the Clock comes on, and it doesn't affect the vote
either way right now.
2. Change either r0 to say "This Forum is not Public or Private, and this
overrules r16.", or r16 to say "a Forum is either Public, Private, or
Emergency" and r0 to say that the Forum is an Emergency Forum. Someone should
propose this before the next SOE.

I do think this is a problem, especially because of 16.C:

"C. Twilight of the Fora
 If at any time there exist no public Fora, the Administrator shall take such steps as are necessary to designate one. Designation of a Forum as public when there are no extant public Fora need not [[and cannot!]] be done publicly."

You're right; it's irrelevant now. I am worried about this problem though:

If actions take place when they reach the Forum, but aren't recognized until
the clock is On, what happens if in the intervening time other things occur
that can be influenced by those actions having taken place?

Zarpint

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, SkArcher wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:24:59 -0500, Zarpint Jeremy Cook
> <mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > You argue something like:
> > Rule 0 takes precedence over Rule 3 and allows only a few valid things to
> > be recognized during an SOE. This does not include new players joining,
> > so
> > IMO I am not a player until the Clock starts, for the sake of precedent.
> >
> > My response:
> > "Actions occur upon reaching the appropriate Fora." r17
> > Under r0, Bnomic-public is a Forum. By r16, it is either Public or
> > Private,
> > and if actions can be taken in it, it is Public.
> > "A Player is an Outsider who consents to be governed by the rules,
> > fulfills all requirements for playerhood specified by the rules, and has
> > become a player in a manner specified by the rules.  An External Force
> > may become a Player by posting a message to a Public Forum containing a
> > request to become a player and a uniquely identifying name that e wishes
> > to be known by." r14
> > I have posted such a message, and it reached a Public Fora. By r17, it
> > occurred,
> > and by r14 I am a Player.
>
> Your message has reached no such Fora. Spoon-business is the only public
> fora. bnomic-public is "The Forum" under point 2 of rule 0, but it is not
> a public forum, only an emergency forum.
>
> SkArcher

Zarpint            "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
Jeremy Cook         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx       --W.B. Yeats, The Song of the Happy Shepherd
grep -r kibo /     "Movements are the problem, not the answer to problems."