SkArcher on 21 Dec 2003 21:14:49 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Response to SkArcher, spell it right guys

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:50:44 -0500, Zarpint Jeremy Cook <mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, Bnomic-Public is a Forum. It is either Private or Public by rule
16 (unless that rule is overruled by rule 0). Actions can only be taken
in a Public Forum, also by rule 16 (unless that is overruled by rule 0).

So the options are:

1. It's Public (and I am a player)
2. It's Private (and I am not)
3. It's neither, because r0 overrules r16 saying that either 1 or 2 is true.

The only textual support I see for any of this is that some actions are taken
in it, suggesting it is Public. Ideally we would want case 3, but I don't
see r0 saying that the Forum is Public, Private, or neither, so there's no
conflict in that respect AFAIK.

The best solution, I think:

1. I will be recognized when the Clock comes on, and it doesn't affect the vote
either way right now.

you won't be, as you will have made no declaration in a Public Fora. You need to post to spoon-business

2. Change either r0 to say "This Forum is not Public or Private, and this
overrules r16.", or r16 to say "a Forum is either Public, Private, or
Emergency" and r0 to say that the Forum is an Emergency Forum. Someone should
propose this before the next SOE.

This is certainly is a grey area, which is why I raised the issue (I did think about _not_ mentioning it until 9.8 days after you first did anything in a public forum and then pulling everything out from under you, but I decided not to :P )

I do think this is a problem, especially because of 16.C:

"C. Twilight of the Fora
If at any time there exist no public Fora, the Administrator shall take such steps as are necessary to designate one. Designation of a Forum as public when there are no extant public Fora need not [[and cannot!]] be done publicly."

Rule 0 exists to operate when the rest of the rules break down for some reason. If you look at it, our SoE didn't actually do anything to solve the issue that caused it. Maybe the whole of the SoE rule needs looking at

You're right; it's irrelevant now. I am worried about this problem though:

If actions take place when they reach the Forum, but aren't recognized until the clock is On, what happens if in the intervening time other things occur
that can be influenced by those actions having taken place?

The only things that can happen in the 'intervening time' are the publishing of ballots, vote results and SoE's. I'm not aware of anything else that _can_ happen in the meantime.

Zarpint