Daniel Lepage on 26 Sep 2003 15:49:24 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Tunnelers Change

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 06:50 AM, Craig wrote:
Perhaps this is overcomplicating things, but what if it took more than
one kill to 'gain a level'? Then, assign each mole a level, which is
the sum of all the permanent bonuses it has; killing a mole of higher
level than you would increase your experience more than killing one
lesser than you, and you'd get new levels based on experience rather
than kills, so the Goliath won't actually get much out of stomping eir
assailants one by one, unless they're of comparable strength to em.

Of course, then you have the problem that the mole who actually strikes
the killing blow gets all the exp... and then you've got a new Goliath
risen from the ranks of the commoners.

(the party members all attempt to gain the exp for killing a naked
catamount...)

* Lore takes off his catamount skin and places it back around the catamount.
* Lore then hits it with the pickaxe again.
<Lore> It twitched!
* tieboy props up the catamout and moves it around fearsomely
<tieboy> argh! look at this deadly battle!

So yeah, if you're trying to emulate the feel of D&D, that sounds perfect. Otherwise, maybe you should get the product of the number of damage you do times the level of your opponent. Then, the experience needed goes up with
your level, so you have to fight bigger and bigger things.

Actually, you should only get the exp if your opponent dies before
healing... otherwise you weren't part of a kill.

So if a mole starts with 20 hp, and a bunch of moles really valiantly beat em down to 1 hp, but then e heals emself for 1, the mole who strikes the final 2 hp worth of killing blow gets all the exp?

Also, it doesn't make sense to me that if I were to wander over, hit bd for one, then run away, and then one of the other moles killed em two nweeks later, I'd get exp if e hadn't healed emself since I hit em. (Hmmm... when I use a lot of spivak pronouns, I keep trying to cut the 'h's of of other words. I had to fight pretty hard to keep from writing, "I'd get exp if e adn't ealed emself since I it em.")

--
Wonko