Daniel Lepage on 26 Sep 2003 15:44:35 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Tunnelers Change

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 10:45 AM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

Oops. I guess I'm sending out another message before doing all my
work.

I suggest that in the rules to Tunnelers, in the description of
what happens when a mole kills another, it is added that "The
killing Mole may choose any of eir max stats and increase it by
one."

Sort of as an incentive to go out and do things rather than hiding
in a corner discarding cards, praying for a foursome.

Biggest problem I have with this is that there's some "rich get
richer" to it.  The victor already has an advantage in that e has
more time than the victim; the victim has to claw eir way back from
whatever godfersaken corner I stick em in.  That's time in which the
victor can collect cards and beef emself up. And while I'm not going
to comment on the observed strategies of players in the game, I will
say that the fact that we've actually had a killing indicates it's
not all hiding in a corner.

Anyone wanna pick a side here?

-I'm gonna side with Wonko. Of course the rich should get richer. It's
like gaining experience in one of them big online RPGs. You get a few
kills, you get better. So the incentive is to play smart and win, not
to sit on your ass in a corner. What if the rewards for taking down an enemy grew as the number of kills they'd scored grew? That way there's
incentive to band with other weak moles to take down the Goliath
that's causing everyone problems.-

Okay...but I'm inclined to suggest that it, yes, be an increase to a max stat, but card play (as in, however many two-card plays) is needed to bring the actual stat up to that level, especially in the case of health. Otherwise, the aforementioned Goliath will just become more invulnerable in the heat of battle, so ganging up on it wouldn't
work.

-Goliath only has five cards. Two moles should be able to beat almost any third mole into submission, although one may die in the process.-

Twelve moles all with Attack:1 have no chance against Goliath with Defense:3, since even if they hit em, e just sort of shrugs it off with a kind of 'ping' noise, like a shellfish bouncing off an ice sculpture swan.

--
Wonko