Craig on 26 Sep 2003 19:50:31 -0000

RE: [spoon-discuss] Tunnelers Change

>>> Perhaps this is overcomplicating things, but what if it took more than
>>> one kill to 'gain a level'? Then, assign each mole a level, which is
>>> the sum of all the permanent bonuses it has; killing a mole of higher
>>> level than you would increase your experience more than killing one
>>> lesser than you, and you'd get new levels based on experience rather
>>> than kills, so the Goliath won't actually get much out of stomping eir
>>> assailants one by one, unless they're of comparable strength to em.
>>
>>> Of course, then you have the problem that the mole who actually
>>> strikes
>>> the killing blow gets all the exp... and then you've got a new Goliath
>>> risen from the ranks of the commoners.
>>
>> (the party members all attempt to gain the exp for killing a naked
>> catamount...)
>>
>> * Lore takes off his catamount skin and places it back around the
>> catamount.
>> * Lore then hits it with the pickaxe again.
>> <Lore> It twitched!
>> * tieboy props up the catamout and moves it around fearsomely
>> <tieboy> argh! look at this deadly battle!
>>
>> So yeah, if you're trying to emulate the feel of D&D, that sounds
>> perfect.
>> Otherwise, maybe you should get the product of the number of damage
>> you do
>> times the level of your opponent. Then, the experience needed goes up
>> with
>> your level, so you have to fight bigger and bigger things.
>>
>> Actually, you should only get the exp if your opponent dies before
>> healing... otherwise you weren't part of a kill.

>So if a mole starts with 20 hp, and a bunch of moles really valiantly
>beat em down to 1 hp, but then e heals emself for 1, the mole who
>strikes the final 2 hp worth of killing blow gets all the exp?

I was thinking heals all the way.

>Also, it doesn't make sense to me that if I were to wander over, hit bd
>for one, then run away, and then one of the other moles killed em two
>nweeks later, I'd get exp if e hadn't healed emself since I hit em.

True. Maybe moles ought to be allowed to ally? Or maybe the dying mole
distributes the exp among those who wounded em?

>(Hmmm... when I use a lot of spivak pronouns, I keep trying to cut the
>'h's of of other words. I had to fight pretty hard to keep from
>writing, "I'd get exp if e adn't ealed emself since I it em.")

Spivak turned you British?

 -- Teucer

"Wow, you're lucky. I'm only oppressed by gnomes in my toaster oven."
 -carbon

ragnarok@xxxxxxxxx
teucer@xxxxxxxxxx