Daniel Lepage on 26 Mar 2003 03:43:01 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Future of the Grid

Okay, here are things the way I'd like to see them:

Once the Grid has become more developed, I think the victory condition should change from simply acquiring points to some grid-based goal. Once this is the case, doing a complete grid reset every win will make much more sense, as a win will signify that the grid has been tilted entirely in someone's favor, through whatever means the victory condition is.

I think that players in and of themselves should have some attributes, such as Stats and the Force, which aren't affected by said resets (the permanent values, I mean, like Jedi Level; all players' forces can be zeroed). This would mean that players who have invested a lot of time and effort in the grid don't lose *everything* when the field is wiped; but the usefulness of the attributes and abilities that carry though should not be high enough that someone can win solely based on said abilities; it should be necessary to train armies, build improvements, etc. Armies and whatnot would be wiped at the clear.

I think that abilities and attributes inherent to players shouldn't be wiped at the Apocalypse; this would include things like Force level, race, stats, etc. Thus, a player would be able to improve their own personal skills in an RPG-like fashion regardless of how often the grid blew up. The victory condition, however, should be such that while it might help me a bit to be able to pick up things from a distance and blow up big rocks, it would be impossible for me to win the game without rebuilding the parts that get destroyed every wipe. Sort of like the NPCs in WarCraft III, for those of you who've played that - they're tough and nasty, and very useful to have around, but they don't do you any good unless you've got a lot of troops to back them up.

I'm thinking that perhaps every player with fewer than 4 owned lands ought to be able to claim any unclaimed 2x2 block of the Grid for free, and immediately put a little 2x2 fortress on it, also for free. That would generally happen after each reset (so one's base location would change every reset), but it would also allow new players to jump straight into the game.

From said fortress, a player would be able to build armies, buy surrounding lands, enlarge the fortress, build other improvements, and conquer the lands of other players. The victory condition might be to, say, take over 95% of the Grid.

This would also make it harder for people to randomly win out of the blue; while points and charm get tossed around like candy, it'll be somewhat harder to find a loophole that lets you take all of the Grid. [[ Side Note: Bridgeweaver mentioned that if we didn't like wins, we should try to avoid them; but with the current victory condition, that's hard to do - things like the Tequila hole, once they're in place, will result in wins as soon as anyone notices them.]]

Note that this wouldn't have to make the proposal half of the game entirely irrelevant - even now, getting lots of props through increases charm, and every point of charm is 10 extra BNS per nweek; thus, those who make a lot of good props would have a substantial monetary advantage over those who sit around doing nothing.

I think this would
	a) make the Grid 'matter', as Bridgeweaver says,
	b) provide an actual restart of the game every win, and
c) enable players who have invested much time and effort in the game to keep some of what they've earned.

Anyone have any comments?

--
Wonko