Glotmorf on 26 Mar 2003 06:33:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Future of the Grid

On 3/25/03 at 10:41 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>Okay, here are things the way I'd like to see them:
>
>Once the Grid has become more developed, I think the victory condition
>should change from simply acquiring points to some grid-based goal.
>Once this is the case, doing a complete grid reset every win will make
>much more sense, as a win will signify that the grid has been tilted
>entirely in someone's favor, through whatever means the victory
>condition is.

I think that if there is a grid-related victory condition there should also be a non-grid-related victory condition.  Perhaps only the grid victory would reset the grid and not dimensions, while the non-grid victory would reset dimensions and not the grid.  That way, someone can invest points in BNS in order to better his grid holdings, not caring about the point win, or ignore the grid, hoard his points, and look for loopholes in the rule superset.

>I'm thinking that perhaps every player with fewer than 4 owned lands
>ought to be able to claim any unclaimed 2x2 block of the Grid for free,
>and immediately put a little 2x2 fortress on it, also for free. That
>would generally happen after each reset (so one's base location would
>change every reset), but it would also allow new players to jump
>straight into the game.
>
> From said fortress, a player would be able to build armies, buy
>surrounding lands, enlarge the fortress, build other improvements, and
>conquer the lands of other players. The victory condition might be to,
>say, take over 95% of the Grid.

Okay...I was sort of against making the grid bigger before, but this might necessitate it.  But if the grid does get bigger, I think Football should be either scrapped or be situated on its own grid.  I still favor multiple grids set up as dimensional planes or physical layers.

If we're handing out portions of the grid, and we're still relying on the concept of service malls, we'll need some space for them all.  We might even eventually develop cities (grids within grid squares?) that are outside and between the fortresses.

I am reminded of an old play-by-mail game called (I think) Epic, which was pretty much a sword-and-sorcery RPG/strategy world.  A block of space would be allocated (call it 1,1), and players set up in it, each with their own little empire.  Then another block -- say, (1,2) -- would be set up, with players in it.  Then another block, and so on, eventually getting to (1,10), then (2,1), and so on.  A single empire could theoretically conquer the whole thing, but it would take substantial resources and one helluva turn submission.

How big a thing do we envision the grid becoming?

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower