Daniel Lepage on 25 Mar 2003 22:36:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Orcish Alcohol Tolerance

On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 02:11  AM, Christopher Bartlett wrote:

It comes down to competing visions of what the world should be. I would like to see entropy have vicious effects and am slowly putting together a proposal to bring that about. I have purposely failed to participate in the grid game because I am waiting for it to matter, so that it is worth the extra time it takes me to track everything. I'm all in favor of complexity in the grid if it serves an over-arching purpose, but complexity for its own sake is anathema to me.

If you disapprove of complexity for complexity's sake, then why do you play the game at all? Why play any game? The fundamental basis of any game is the idea that vying with others in a complicated arena is fun and entertaining.

You say you're in favor of the grid having some 'over-arching purpose'; but the game as a whole has no 'over-arching purpose' save to be played itself, therefore it is impossible for any subgame of the game to have any purpose beyond the playing of the game.

I think of the grid as a subgame; we play the game of the grid as a game in and of itself, regardless of its effects on the outer game of proposals and voting; the outer game largely ignores the inner game, except inasmuch as the inner game was written by the outer game.

We could attempt to tie the two together more strongly; discussions were made once, long, long ago, about the possibility of awarding people extra voting power based on Grid status, or of granting extra bandwidth/bandwidth penalties based on gathering Chits on the Grid, but nobody seemed to like these ideas. So the Grid grew separately, and is distinct from the rest of the game.

If you want the grid to really matter, I would suggest moving all Victory conditions to Grid-based things. If, for example, the only way to win was to build a fortress and from it invade the rest of the Grid and defeat everyone else, then the Grid would be the Primary game, and the Nomic would be but a means of obtaining Grid Power.

So I put forth the following suggestion:
Glotmorf once spoke of the idea of different Rules being like companies, spread throughout a city. Players would have extra control over certain rules if they owned the buildings associated with them; if you could break into an enemy company's offices, you could capture their rules and take them to your own buildings.

This would require a lot of crazy rewriting of the Grid, and I think we dismissed the idea as being a great premise for a new game of nomic, but not something that would fit into this one (although it was the inspiration for the carryable insta-rules idea).

But what about a modified version of it?

What if rules were Grid objects?

They wouldn't *all* have to be on the Grid, but perhaps there could be a separate class of rules (the Levels system would be good for this), where these rules, call them 'Physical' rules, or maybe 'Supermutable' rules, occupied various Grid Squares. Players could claim them and drag them together, building fortresses to protect them, and armies to obtain them.

Ministers could gain additional powers when they neared their rules; Rules defining unpleasant effects - Death, Curses, etc. could occasionally leak and curse/kill nearby players... but could be channeled at other players to inflict things upon them.

Then a fight to repeal Rule 10 would not be merely an argument and some votes; it could be an actual fight, as the Voice's troops battle the armies of the pro-10ers at the gates of the 10th Fortress...

Even better... what if rules were creatures? They'd wander around, eating, getting old, dying; you could herd them in pens or hunt them in the wild... captured rules could be sold on the black market... wait a sec... idea coming...

What if we could capture rules and sell them to *other games*?!?

Maybe that would just be *too* weird.

--
Wonko