Glotmorf on 14 Mar 2003 05:10:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 36 BALLOT

On 3/13/03 at 6:26 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>>> Proposal 1377/0: Sing Along! (Wonko)
>>
>> No.  Rap is technically considered music, and therefore gives too much
>> leeway.
>
>According to Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, music involves
>the succession of tones. In fact, there is a specific note: "Not all
>sounds are tones. Sounds may be unmusical and yet please the ear. Music
>deals with tones, and with no other sounds. See Tone." This would
>suggest that something such as rap, which focuses more on beats than
>tones, is not actually music. Unless you mean in the zoological sense,
>where it means "A more or less musical sound made by many of the lower
>animals. See Stridulation."
>
>I guess the question is, does Dave consider a work of Rap to be music?

Unfortunately, rap is measured in "songs", and "songs" are what your prop is tied to.  Your prop doesn't actually say "music".  I suppose that means I could write props based on the Song of Hiawatha...or better still, the Song of Solomon.  Pull up a KJV and figure out the rhythm and rhyme of that one.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower